Sunday, April 30, 2006

It's so cool


I bit the bullet and bought a kayak this weekend. Although it's probably not the best time to be buying one, Fishing Tackle Unlimited on I45 was having a flyfishing and kayaking event and I just got carried away. Plus, I could save some good money. I ended up going for the cheapest sit on top kayak I could get, the Mainstream Kingfish. It was only $399 (or something close to that). It's an 11'8" long 30" wide kayak that weighs 46 pounds. I had to get a bunch of safety accessories as well so it drove the price up.

A very helpful guy, Shane, helped me through the whole process. Turns out that he was actually a stocker but said he can't say no when someone needs help. I really appreciated it and will be a loyal FTU customer now. I have a lot to learn about saltwater fishing so I need all the help I can get.


I took it out to Christmas Bay again and slapped the water with my line for about 2 hours. I had more fun in the kayak than I did fishing. Kinda scary. It was so stable and felt fast. I know it's probably a dog compared to the others but it beats the crap out of my old pontoon boat for speed.

I can't wait to get on the water again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

niiice! you're outdoing my muskie hunts on a kayak now...not sure you're one-upable on this one, but I'm gonna rack my brain to figure it out! :-)

Scott M. Head said...

Kayaks are great, judging from all the folks on the bays and waters with them these days. I was thinking real hard on one, but we got a littl outboar skiff instead, simply because the time was right and the thing came up for sale.

Hope to see you one the water one day, we're locals but the bay is unknown to me so far, having just become mobile we'll be learning the spots.